Monday, April 23, 2012

My Story 1: The Beginning


Cinnamon 15

I haven't done much more than movie reviews on this blog as of lately. Mostly because I am home now and have been settling in. To tell on myself a little, those reviews were actually written while I was still in the nursing home. I haven't had much time to watch movies. I have just recently broken my collarbone, so I am laid up more than usual and will be for awhile. In the meantime, I thought I would catch up on my personal journal. It is interesting to go back through my memory and see all that I have been through these past 5 or so months and try to figure out how I have managed to get through it all. I also thought it might be interesting to you. Nothing in here is all that personal, and I have omitted some of the details for fear of becoming unnecessarily long-winded. This is the text as it is actually written in my notebook, so you'll excuse any ramblings or incoherent sentences or things that just don't quite fit. As it is I have broken it into smaller entries so as to keep it at the length, I hope, of a comfortable read. I welcome any feedback or questions in the form of a comment at the bottom of this post.

So without further ado, here is My Story 1: The Beginning...

Well, here I am! I don't remember the last time I wrote a journal entry, but I have been away from home for a good 5+months and I have lost my previous notebook.

It was early on the morning of November 5, 2011. I was headed up to bed at about 2am. I flopped down in the big couch chair in the living room because I was feeling weak. When I went to get back up, I just couldn't do it. I tried several times to push off, but had no strength. I finally got enough momentum to stand with the walker. But then suddenly my legs gave way and I collapsed into the chair. Thank goodness it was there. I was really scared. Punky was watching fron the cabana across the room by the TV. I finally conceded that I needed to go to the hospital. I was not only seeping, but my leg (left) was bleeding out from underneath the bandages. I began crying. I couldn't call the hospital or ambulance. So, another late night call to June. She came over and called the squad for me, They came and carted me off the Mt. Carmel ER. I laid there while they hooked me up to the usual things. The doctor came in and they started to unwrap my bandages. I was asked who wrapped my legs. When I said it was me, they said it was a really good job. Yay me!? That joy lasted a few seconds before everyone gasped. My leg was covered with maggots! They cleaned me off and said it was a good thing because they were cleaning the infection. So I was admitted. Little did I know what this would lead to.

They originally said I might have to be amputated . They wouldn't say for sure how much. It was to happen that day, but they found me to be infected with head lice. They couldn't take me into the OR like that, so they shaved my head and rescheduled the surgery for Monday the 7th. The next thing I remember is lying in wait to go to surgery. The doctor was still unsure how much he would have to amputate. He would have to wait until he got me in there, He asked about my right leg. He wanted to know, if he thought the right leg would have to come off, did he want me to wake me. I said NO! I trusted his judgement.

The next thing I remember is waking up after surgery, I didn't open my eyes. I thought maybe the whole thing had been a dream and possibly a cruel joke. I started to panic. I could hear people bustling around me, and man was I thirsty! I really started to scream, but tried really hard to keep my cool. I finally settled down, and after awhile they said I could go up to my room. Holly was there to wheel me up. My eyes were still closed. I didn't open then for quite some time. That's all I remember for awhile. I don't remember opening my eyes for the first time.

I did my stint at Mt. Carmel during which i had a bout with an excruciating episode of leg pain (nerve). It was literally the worst pain I have ever endured. There was nothing I could do about it. I had a button to press to control my IV pain meds (Dilaudid), but they wouldn't act quick enough. So they started me on meds to prevent the spasms before they started. The big issue was where I would go after this. I stubbornly fighted going to OSU--I don't know why. Dodd Hall was the place of choice--and I'm glad for it. Dr. Tanzer was right. It was the best hospital I have ever been in.

I was transferred on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. It was November 22nd.

I think I will stop this entry there. There is plenty more to tell, and I probably forgot some stuff. But there it is. Stop by again for the continuation. As it is already written, I will probably post it before too long!

Thanks for Visiting!!!



1 comment:

  1. Wow. That's a really powerful story. My heart was pounding through part of it and I literally flinched when I read about the bandages coming off. Intense.

    I was hoping to drag you out to my storytelling event this month but with the collarbone thing I guess that's out of the question. Maybe I can just stop by for a visit this weekend instead.

    ReplyDelete