Monday, April 30, 2012

My Story 3: Back Home



Sugar 13

This is the last installment of my story of woe. I hope you have found it interesting and maybe a little informative. I just got kind of tired of having to give a condensed version to all who asked about what happened. I won't be posting any more of my personal journal entries simply because, well, they're personal. Note: Be sure to read My Story 1 and My Story 2 before you read this final entry.

I'm back home with my cats now. I couldn't be happier. Can't say this is going to be as exciting or interesting as my last couple of entries, but I can't exactly just stop, as there is still time to cover that encompasses significant happenings. Then maybe I can resume my daily entries like I used to.

I'm living mostly in guess what...my living room now. How appropriate is that?! I've got my hospital bed with a bed table and a stool to keep a lamp and a few small items on. Mom is going to bring down my nightstand when she gets a chance so I can have another surface and a couple of drawers. I've just got too much stuff!

Anyway, I'm still relying on my computer for most of my daily activities right now (and as usual). Here again, I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

I came home, as I said, in a wheelchair from the Manor that I had taken. They found out eventually, though. The first full day that I was home turned out very well. I got a phone call from United Mobility & Seating--the ones providing me with my power wheelchair--asking if it would be a good time to deliver the chair. YES, PERFECT! Ironically, about 10 minutes after the guy arrived, I got another phone call, this time from the Manor. They wanted to know if it would be a good time to pick up the chair that I borrowed. As a matter of fact, it would be! How perfect could it be?! Just as the power chair guy was leaving, the lady from the Manor drove up! Done and done.

Next on the important agenda was to acquire some items that I still needed. Most important was a manual wheelchair of my own so I can go places away from home. Once again, a call to June so she could take me and Mom around shopping. Of course, a lunch at Steak & Shake was also a must. We stopped first at White's Pharmacy. They had stuff, but the wheelchairs were way too heavy for Mom & June to handle. They looked at bed tables too--too expensive right now.

We went next to Walgreens. They didn't have anything. However, a customer said there was a medical supply store right down the road. Sure enough, American Medical Equipment is in the same shoppiing mall as Outback Steakhouse. So that's where we went next (I'm writing this entry with one of their pens. I have about 5 of them.) Success! Not only did we get a good wheelchair ($299), but we also got the bed table that I'm using right now ($149). At the last minute, we asked about a transfer board. They had one left! So we added that to our purchase. June paid for it, but we can still use it for my April spend down.

I finally got to go for lunch at The Waffle House. Mom and June used to stop there on the way home from visiting me. I wanted to go too. It was really good.

Not too much more to say right now except...I suppose it might be appropriate to mention that I broke my collarbone! Simple enough day. I had been sitting outside on the ramp platform (the deck) in the fresh air. It was getting chilly, so I came inside (I can manage this by myself now). I was doing a routine transfer back into my bed when ...CRACK!!! My right shoulder went straight up to my ear and the pain was excruciatiing! Fortunately, I had made it into the bed, because I couldn't have gone any farther using my arms.

Once again, I thought it would go away. So I suffered up through the next morning. Then I remembered what happened the last time I didn't go to the hospital about something--I lost my legs! So I finally called the ambulance to take me to the hospital. They took an X-ray and found out I had broken my collarbone.

Whoa! That reminded me...how could I forget one of the best things that happened while I was at the Manor. Tammy came back! She is getting a divorce from Mick and finally leaving what apparently was 27 years of abuse and Hell. Good for her and yay for me. She is going to stay here, too. Not just visiting!

Which brings me to where I am now. My shoulder feels better, but it still hurts when I put pressure on it. I'm going to have to cancel any appointments with those who don't make house calls. I'm hoping to try an easy transfer today if Mom ever gets out of the study and away from the budget. I'm hoping she can find my lighter USB flash drive...and my baseball cards while she's at it!

I think that'll do it for now. Sprinkle is breaking something in the kitchen and I'm hungry!

Thanks for Visiting!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment