Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Fly


Sugar 5


No, not that The Fly. This is not another movie review. I thought I would take a break from visual entertainment and do a post more familiar with my pre-reviewer times.

I finally got him. That pesky fly is no longer. He was a big one, too. One of those flies that just seems like he constitutes the entire world. And he is no longer. What an accomplishment. What a joyous part of my day. What a reason to celebrate...Really?!

This is not really to say that it is sad to say that this constitutes the most I can imagine as a good day. It is more to exploit how much some of the little things are what really matters. I know it's been done over and over in numerous columns and books and articles before. But that is because it is true (and it works really well for those trying to get back to writing in the way they used to back in the day).

Think for a moment about the things that really make you happy. Some of the times when you might catch yourself smiling when nobody is around to see it. When you watch one your favorite cartoon shows or you read a book that makes you laugh inside. Have you ever just stopped and reflected on your physical state at that very moment and realizing that you have a grin on your face? Compare this to when you are out with friends. You're all laughing and having a good time with your anecdotes and stories of the last barbecue party and what others might not know happened back at the house and...well, that's another post...

Anyway, my point is that there are times when you smile just because it is the socially acceptable thing to do. You wouldn't really laugh wholeheartedly at Uncle Frank's story of blunder at the hardware store. For one thing, nobody thinks it's funny that he picked up the wrong size drill bit. For another thing, nobody at this particular gathering knows what carbide tipped even means. And for a third thing, nobody cares or will ever care! But you smile, tip your glass to his, and let him have a fake chuckle anyway. Why? Because even though Frank is the one with the stupid story, you'd look like the idiot if you didn't. Ironic, isn't it?

When you watch your favorite show on television, you have no one to impress. Yet you still put on a happy face. When you kill that horse of a fly, you grin as though you have conquered the universe. Well, at least I do. Joking aside, have you really done much to rid the world of evil? You got rid of one stupid fly. In the whole vast land of everything, there is one less housefly. I don't think that is going to make much of a difference to anyone tomorrow. Probably not even you. However, you celebrate anyway.

I believe there seems even more reason to celebrate when there is nobody around. Like right now as I am sitting here writing this column. It is the middle of the night and I have just found that pesky fly in my glass of water. Sure I'll have to go get another glass of water, but that fly is gone. No more taking time out from my thoughts to take a swat at it, just to have it return and do a fly-by (excuse the pun) around my lamp. Such satisfaction from such a little thing. Yet that's what life seems to be about. At least to me. Because at last I can sleep, which is what I was after all along. Another of those little things we don't think of as being so important until we are deprived of it. And here it is. I'll just finish up this column and enjoy the bliss that is slumber.

Oh no. Now there's something I didn't count on...that fly has a brother...

Thanks for Visiting!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment